Maintain Your User Account
MAINTAIN YOUR USER ACCOUNT
Users can access their own account information through the Maintain Your ECF Account menu. Using this option, participants can update their name, mailing and E-mail addresses, phone and fax numbers, and password. Users can therefore control the accuracy of their own information in a timely manner.
This portion of the manual explains how attorneys and trustees can update:
• User name, address and other party data
• E-mail information
• Electronic Noticing Preferences
• Maintaining Filing Agents
• User Password
STEP 1: After clicking on Utilities on the CM/ECF Main Menu bar, select 'Maintain Your ECF Account,' which is found under the 'Your Account' sub-menu.
STEP 2: Your account screen will appear displaying your current account information. Update your personal account information here. When it is correct click Submit to save the changes. If the Submit button is not used, the information will not safe. See step 3 for EMAIL INFORMATION and step 4 for MORE USER INFORMATION.
STEP 3: The E-Mail Information screen presents options for control of electronic notification on each court's CM/ECF system. Notices of Electronic Case Filings (NEF's) can be requested for all cases participated in and/or for specific cases. The system can also email the activity in the above referenced cases either as documents are filed or a daily summary report can be requested. Each email will include the case number and the name of the docket entry in the subject line of the e-mail message.
A. Preferred E-mail Addresses for Noticing
• Primary E-Mail Address. This address must be formatted to internet protocol or an error will be generated. It may be prudent to establish a separate E-mail account for CM/ECF activity from your routine E-mail correspondence.
• Secondary E-mail Address. You may have notices sent to other E-mail addresses besides your primary E-mail address. When entering multiple E-mail addresses, separate each address with a semicolon or press 'Enter' after each address so the addresses appear one on each line.
B. Cases To Receive E-mail Notifications
• Send notices in cases in which I am involved. Checking this box will automatically inform the user when any filing has been submitted in a case where this person is a participant.
• Send notices in these additional cases. You do not have to be a participant in a case to receive notification of activity. Users can elect to be notified of activity in cases in which they have an interest but are not parties to the case. Both noticing options can be selected.
C. Frequency of E-mail Notifications
• Send a notice for each filing. Checking this box means you can receive E-mail notices when activity occurs throughout the day to the account(s) specified above. The title of the E-mail will describe the type of filing and the case number.
• Send a daily summary report. A comprehensive list of one day's activity can be received once a day. Notifications for claims will also be included in this mail list. A summary report includes the case numbers and titles of cases in which activity occurred for that day. The text of the summary e-mail notification will display the docket event and the document number (including the hyperlink).
D. Format of Notices
• Html Format For ISP E-mail Services. The html format will include hyperlinks to the document or claim.
• Text format for cc:Mail, GroupWise, or other E-mail service. Text format will feature the URL of the PDF document which can be copied ans pasted into the location bar of your browser.
Skip to step 5 to save changes.
STEP 4: More User Information
A. Changing Your Password. If you click on the More user information from your account screen, your login, password, and filing agent (if activated) information will be displayed. Only the password and filing agent information can be modified by the user.
• Passwords are case sensitive
• Passwords must be at least 8 characters
• They must contain at least 1 number and 1 uppercase letter
• When you enter the password, it displays on the screen. Subsequent to this, the password will be displayed with only asterisks. No one (including court users) will be able to tell you the password. Contact the court if you forget your password.
STEP 5: When finished, click on 'Return to Account Screen' and click 'Submit' to finish processing.
The 'Select The Cases To Be Updated' screen will then appear for the user to select the affected cases. Modifications to the name, social security number, tax identification number and bar identification numbers will automatically update ALL cases.
STEP 6: A screen will appear to confirm the information which has been submitted. If you check any of the boxes for sending notices for each filing, or sending a summary report, this screen will indicate the option is turned 'on.' Any additional case numbers and hyperlinks will be displayed under the Case list: heading. If any invalid case numbers were entered, you will receive an error message after submitting the data and be given the chance to back up and enter a valid number.
Prior to release 4.0 of CM/ECF, it was necessary for some trustees and attorneys to have multiple paralegals/staff members docketing simultaneously in order to complete necessary filings. Previously, there was no way to link multiple accounts to the same trustee or attorney. As a result the court had to create separate accounts to allow staff to file on behalf of the trustee/attorney.
Now, a new user type is available, called a Filing Agent. A trustee or attorney may link several filing agents to their user account so that when the agent files on behalf of the trustee/attorney, the docket test shows the trustee's/attorney's name as the filer.
• Can docket on behalf of the trustee/attorney
• Will not appear on the pick list for docketing (only the trustee or attorney name will show
• Name will not show up on the docket text (the trustee or attorney name will show as the filer)
• Assume the rights and privileges assigned to the trustee or attorney's user account
• Will not receive email on their own. The filing agent's email address must be designated through the trustee or attorney's account in Maintain Your ECF Account: 'Secondary Email Address' and by checking 'Send the notices to the secondary addresses'
• Can docket restricted and sealed documents but cannot view them after docketing (the attorney/trustee main account must be used)
• May make filing fee payments, if access is granted by the attorney.
In order to have a filing agent added to your account, please complete the ECF Filing Agent Registration Form. The clerk's office will set up the filing agent account and email the attorney and agent the login and password.