This section demonstrates the steps necessary to file an amended motion/application in the CM/ECF System.
STEP 1: Click on the ‘Bankruptcy’ link at the top of the CM/ECF menu bar.
STEP 2: The ‘Bankruptcy Events’ menu displays, click on 'Motion/Applications.’
STEP 3: The Case Number Screen will appear, click in the text box and type the appropriate case number. Click ‘Next’ to continue.
STEP 4: Available Events Screen
On this screen you will be prompted to select your event. Select the event 'Amended Applications/Motions' unless you are filing one of the following:
Amended Application for Compensation
Amended Application to Employ
Amended Motion for Relief from Stay
Amended Objection to Debtor's Claim of Exemptions
Amended Objection to Secured Claim
Amended Objection to Unsecured Claim
If you are filing one of the above noted amended motions, PLEASE SELECT THE APPROPRIATE ABOVE EVENT WHEN FILING YOUR MOTION.
STEP 5: Joint Filing Screen
If this is not a joint filing, click ‘Next’ to continue. On the other hand, if this is a joint filing click the box to the left of 'Joint filing with other attorney.'
STEP 6: Select the Party Screen
Look through the list of parties and highlight the name of the party you are representing by clicking on it. Click ‘Next’ to continue.
STEP 7: Additional next screens may appear at this time. If this occurs, click ‘Next’ to continue.
STEP 8: PDF Upload Screen
1. On this screen, you will be uploading your motion to the CM/ECF database.
- CM/ECF only accepts documents saved as PDFs. For information on converting Word or WordPerfect files to PDF, visit Technical Tips.
- CM/ECF can support up to 50 MB per file.
2. Click ‘Choose File’ to open the browse pop-up window.
3. Find your motion in the browsing pop-up window.
4. Click on the motion to select it.
5. Click ‘Open’ to select the motion.
6. You must attach your proposed order to your motion. Click the ‘Yes’ radio button located directly below the ‘Choose File’ button to indicate you are attaching a document.
7. Click ‘Next’ to continue.
STEP 9: Attached Files Upload Screen
1. If you selected ‘Yes’ to attachments, you will now be prompted to upload the proposed order you wish to attach to your motion.
2. Click the ‘Choose File’ button to open the browse pop-up window.
3. Find your additional file in the browsing pop-up window.
4. Click on the additional file to select it.
5. Click ‘Open’ to upload the additional file.
6. You must now select a Category and/or type a Description of the additional file. You may complete one field or both fields. HOWEVER, you cannot leave both fields blank.
7. Category: Click the ‘Category’ drop down arrow to reveal the list of options. Select ‘Proposed Order.’
8. Description: Click in the ‘Description’ text box and type a description of the additional file.
9. Click the ‘Add to List’ button once you have completed the Category and/or Description fields. Continue following step 9 until all your documents are attached.
10. Click ‘Next’ to continue.
STEP 10: Select The Appropriate Event Screen
Now you will be prompted to select the original/last version of the motion being amended. Click the box to the left of the motion. Click ‘Next’ to continue.
STEP 11: Terminate Pending Document Screen
This screen is used to terminate the previously filed motion. Please click the box to the left of the motion being amended. Click 'Next' to continue.
STEP 12: Enhance Docket Text Screen
You will now have the opportunity to enhance the docket text. Click 'Next' to continue when enhanced as desired.
STEP 13: The final docket text will appear. Verify that it is correct and click 'Next' to continue.
STEP 14: Notice of Electronic Filing Screen
The confirmation screen will be displayed. Print out for your records if you desire.
NOTE: Do not forget to file the notice of opportunity to object and a notice of hearing (if applicable) as SEPARATE entries. Please see those sections of the manual for instructions on how to properly file them.