This section demonstrates the steps necessary to file Plans in CM/ECF.
STEP 1: Click on the ‘Bankruptcy’ link at the top of the CM/ECF menu bar.
STEP 2: The ‘Bankruptcy Events’ menu displays, click on ‘Plan’
STEP 3: The Case Number Screen will appear, click in the text box and type the appropriate case number. Click ‘Next’ to continue.
STEP 4: Available Events Screen
On this screen you will be prompted to select your event. You can do this in two ways:
1. Click on the events menu arrows to scroll through the available options and choose an appropriate option. Click ‘Next’ to continue.
2. Click in the text box above the events menu and begin typing the event you desire. For example, should you be filing a chapter 13 plan, start typing 'chapter 13' in the box. This narrows the menu options. Once your desired event is visible, highlight it by clicking on the event within the events menu. You can select more than one event by holding down the control key and clicking on multiple events. Click ‘Next’ to continue.
NOTE: Any event you select will show up in the 'Selected Events' window to the right. Also, click on an event within this 'Selected Events' window to remove it.
STEP 5: Joint Filing Screen
If this is not a joint filing, click ‘Next’ to continue. On the other hand, if this is a joint filing click the box to the left of 'Joint filing with other attorney.'
STEP 6: Select the Party Screen
(a) Scroll through the list of parties. If your party is found, highlight the name by clicking on it. Click ‘Next’ to continue. Go to step 8.
(b) If the name of your party is not found, click ‘Add/Create New Party.’ Go to step 7.
STEP 7: New Party Information Screen
1. Enter the information for the party by clicking in each text box and typing the appropriate information. Please include the party's:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Mailing Address (Start with Address Line 1, and continue to Address Line 2 and Address Line 3, if necessary)
- E-mail (If available)
- Role (debtor, creditor, etc.)
- Party Text (If Necessary)
2. Corporate/Parent Affiliate: If the party has a corporate or parent affiliate, click the ‘Corporate/Parent Affiliate’ button. Type in the party’s corporate or parent business name and click ‘Submit.’
3. Click ‘Submit.’ NOTE: A pop up window will appear notifying you of each section that has not been filled in or completed. Click ‘Okay’ to continue.
4. Click ‘Next’ to continue.
STEP 8: PDF Upload Screen
1. On this screen, you will be uploading your plan to the CM/ECF database.
- CM/ECF only accepts documents saved as PDFs. For information on converting Word or WordPerfect files to PDF, visit Technical Tips.
- CM/ECF can support up to 50 MB per file. Click ‘Browse’ to open the browse pop-up window.
2. Click ‘Choose File’ to open the browse pop-up window.
3. Find your document in the browsing pop-up window.
4. Click on the document to select it.
5. Click ‘Open’ to select the document.
6. If you wish to attach additional documents, click the ‘Yes’ radio button located directly below the ‘Browse’ button to indicate you are attaching a document. Go to step 11. If you do not wish to attach additional documents, click ‘Next’ to continue.
STEP 9: Attached Files Upload Screen
1. If you selected ‘Yes’ to attachments, you will now be prompted to upload any attachments to your plan.
2. Click the ‘Choose File’ button to open the browse pop-up window.
3. Find your additional file in the browsing pop-up window.
4. Click on the additional file to select it.
5. Click ‘Open’ to upload the additional file.
6. You must now select a Category and/or type a Description of the additional file. You may complete one field or both fields. HOWEVER, you cannot leave both fields blank.
7. Category: Click the ‘Category’ drop down arrow to reveal the list of options. Select the appropriate option.
8. Description: Click in the ‘Description’ text box and type a description of the attachment.
9. Click the ‘Add to List’ button once you have completed the Category and/or Description fields. Repeat step 9 until all of your attachments are uploaded.
10. Click ‘Next’ to continue.
STEP 10: Enhanced Docket Text Screen
You may also enhance the text by clicking in the text box and typing any additional information. Click 'Next' to continue.
STEP 11: The final docket text will appear. Verify that it is correct and click 'Next' to continue.
STEP 12: Notice of Electronic Filing Screen
At this time, the Notice of Electronic Case Filing Screen will display with the docket entry number of your filing. This is the confirmation that your document has been filed. Print out for your records if you desire.